Friday 7 August 2015

In the Beginning


e04d5bebc2737723f490972e3c0de314


In the Beginning

I snapped awake, my face was reflected from two glass eye-pieces.
I stared, like a snake hypnotised by a mongoose, vainly seeking clues in mask or cloak.
My side throbbed and ached. I strained to move, to examine the wound but my body would not obey my mind’s commands.
Who was he?
His head cocked to one side like a dog listening to a distant whistle.
“You can call me...Father.”
His finger unhooked my chin, and I fell, face down.
Searching for any shred of memory, I met a shining wall of nothing, full headlights on fog. 
How did I get here?
Again the head moved.
“I brought you here. Obey my rules and you will prosper here. If you do not...” he hissed, menace clear. 
His retreating feet left no marks.
My questing hand felt another body. 
 I scrambled away.
Where was I?
“I call this place Eden.”

150 words

This story was written for Angela Goff’s Visual Dare and marks my return, after a long absence, to this wonderful weekly flash fiction challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment