Sunday 15 September 2013

Rise to Fall



Damn them, and their noon day temple laments, I’ll have none of their simpering prayers. Do they expect repentance, regret? 
“Bring me water – and sweet wine to drink!”

Revenge shall be my response. I command here. Armies in shining hordes do my bidding from one end of the known world to the other...
All fear me... and with cause...
Tyrant they name me; those rebels and traitors masquerading as friends. Every one that betrays me shall know my wrath, my retribution, the righteous fury of my justice...
“Water! Are you deaf?”

Their names will be stricken from memory across the Empire, never used for infants throughout all eternity. Their bones will be burned, crushed and scattered in the winds, their lands salted and their women enslaved. What they’ve done to me will seem as nothing...
“Water!”
“Ignore him, Soldier. Thirst is what kills them on the tree – if they’re lucky.”


150 words
@nickjohns999

This story, inspired by the track of the same name, was written for the Michael Maas Illumination Flash Fiction Contest hosted by Samantha Redstreake Geary, where writers were challenged to tell a 150 word tale inspired by music from Michael's new albums.

Michael and the other composers chose this story as a winner in the contest

Michael Maas‘ amazing music, and his Illumination album is available on emusic, Amazon and iTunes!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is so powerful. You've so got the knack of bringing music to life woth words. Congrats on your win :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I enjoyed the challenge of writing to this music. Lisa Shambrook was another of the three winners - chosen by the composers no less. A minion-tastic result! I was actually trying (and failing)to write something else when I came across this challenge.

      Delete