Friday 8 March 2013

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools...




http://flashfriday.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/fog-66269.jpg



And all our yesterdays have lighted fools...

I had thought them all killed following the scourge.
The electric light said different.
I crept in. Dangers lurked here. There! A cough! I entered the damned light, the stone floor clean and cold against my torn, dirty feet.
 He sat in a chair with wheels – and an engine!
Sightless, milky eyes in a grey sweating face followed me.
“I knew you’d come if you saw the light.”
“Extinguish it, or you will surely die!”
“Too late. I’m already almost there. I’m using the last of my battery power. You’ll light my way.”
“No! ‘I am the way, the truth and the light’...”
“Not in here. I’m the light, or rather the wind generator is. Not enough juice for my chair anymore. Damn lithium batteries.” He coughed wetly and dabbed his mouth with a red flecked cloth.
“Blasphemy! ‘Shun the evils of the machine...’ ” I intoned
“Oh save me the ‘technology brought the scourge’ sermon! It was a viral pandemic. Bad sure, but we’d have recovered eventually - but for you idiots.”
“Sinner!”
“Yeah. I’m a sinner.” He closed his eyes and dipped his head. “Come on Boy, I’m ready. Do what you came to do.”
“For the wages of sin is death...” I raised my club.

208 words
@nickjohns999

This story was written for Flash! Friday Challenge 14

No comments:

Post a Comment