Thursday 13 September 2012

My Soles' Lament






My Soles’ Lament

“Kids today! Don’t know you’re born. It’s perfectly simple. Get out there and do what I did. OK?”
“Yes Granddad.”
So I did as I was told. He was the King after all. I got out there.
The forest had changed since his day. No friendly witch or tinkling sound of girlish laughter.
Just lonely trees shoehorned into open tombs of concrete, sad scattered spots of unwanted autumn gold, lingering like rust on stainless steel.
I turned the corner and despaired.
Royal Prince or not, how the hell was I supposed to find my Cinderella’s shoe in all this mess?
___
100 Words
@nickjohns999
This was written for Visual Dare 22

10 comments:

  1. Great take on the prompt & love it when people take the familiar and turn it on its head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura!

      Thanks for your comment.
      This sort of twist makes some of my stories hard to place. This kind of fiction has gone out of fashion amongst editors - they take the more 'earnest' and 'deep'.
      I think there is still a place for fun stories that serve no higher purpose than to give someone a laugh or a smile, and I am pleased if this one did for you.
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. You made me giggle, Cinderella's shoe, loved the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa!

    Pleased that it made you smile. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved the last line, and the contrasting imagery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Cool twist on a classic. Nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lillie!
      It was great photo prompt to work with.

      Delete
  6. Great story! I bet she's worth finding once he gets through that pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that! 'Nothing good comes easy@ as my Mum used to say :-)
      BTW loved the idea of Chocolate Pretzels!

      Delete